[SWLUG] Cable providers not wanting networks?

David Elir Evans david at clyne.co.uk
Fri Aug 30 07:53:26 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "bascule" <asura at theexcession.co.uk>
To: <discuss at swlug.org.uk>
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 12:42 AM
Subject: Re: [SWLUG] Cable providers not wanting networks?

> a straw poll will probably find that most ntl customers at least are
running
> home networks, i've read differing opinions about being able to tell if
> someone is using nat/masquerade behind a firewall or not so someone else
can
> address those technicalities, i'm running a few machines behind a firewall
> box and not had any problems, i assume that ntl know folk do this and
indeed
> i expect that they see this possibility as a draw for cable customers,
> running public servers from your home network - now that might get you cut
> off..
>
> bascule

My understanding (with respect to NTL) is that you are not allowed to run a
publicly accessible http service nor ftp service, and the agreement also
says that they can at their discretion extend this to other ports and
services.

You can easily configure apache and wu-ftp to refuse requests from non LAN
addresses, or to limit such access to known users.

I don't think NTL block ports though, but I believe that other providers do.
You can make a guess from the broadband adverts that the marketing men seem
to have control over the direction of, and the target market audience of
broadband.  Pity about the dumbing down, perhaps they could point out other
benefits, such as remote office access.  They seem to be concentrating on
the ... 'serious' games player market at present.

I notice that Scotnet have a sub £30 pcm adsl deal, which gives you a static
ip address and no port blocking.