[SWLUG] Cable providers not wanting networks?

Foeh Mannay foeh.mannay at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 30 09:36:29 UTC 2002

I work at ntl and spend all day hearing from people who are using home
networks - the only thing we say is we won't give tech support on home
networking. As far as ntl is concerned it's one MAC, one IP at any given
time. Routers are allowed but it's totally up to the customer to configure
them - though most of the time agents will give courtesy hints such as
"You've cloned the MAC of your modem. Try cloning the MAC of your computer
and rebootiing everything". It's against the AUP to run publicly accessible
services such as http & ftp if they're not password protected. I'd love to
see AUP come down on kazaa and the likes - this is publicly accessible is it
not? You can imagine the uproar though :o)

As far as I know ntl don't actively scan for open services - you can imagine
the ZoneAlarm watchers calling in by the hundred and freaking out at ntl for
trying to "hack" them...

Foeh.