[SWLUG] Networking

Foeh Mannay foeh.mannay at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 12 14:42:51 UTC 2002

Hi, Than.

Assuming all your cabling etc is fine and SuSE found your network card...

It should be fairly straightforward. I did it with SuSE 8.0 and Windows 2000 a
while back and after a bit of fiddling around I discovered that it's not that
hard.

If I remember right, to get Windows file sharing I did this:

1) Set up a user on the SuSE box with the same username as my Windows login
2) Set up samba using swat - might be on by default - try opening
http://127.0.0.1:901/ from your web browser in SuSE and logging on as root
3) used smbpasswd to set the password for the file sharing on the SuSE box -
it had to be the same as for the Windows login or I kept running into
trouble.

It's fairly simple but you need to make sure "homes" is turned on unless you
want to fiddle about a fair bit. Windows 2000 wasn't very verbose with its
errors so it took me a while to figure out why it wasn't working, but I think
that's what I did in the end. I'm sure people will correct me if I'm wrong!

Foeh.