[SWLUG] Networking

Philip Downer phil at pjd.me.uk
Thu Dec 12 17:00:10 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 14:42, Foeh Mannay wrote:
> It should be fairly straightforward. I did it with SuSE 8.0 and Windows 2000 a
> while back and after a bit of fiddling around I discovered that it's not that
> hard.

Thats a little bit more recent then me then (I used win98) so I hope my
additions aren't out of date :)

> If I remember right, to get Windows file sharing I did this:
> 1) Set up a user on the SuSE box with the same username as my Windows login

This shouldn't be necessary, although I do try and keep the usernames on
all my machines the same to stop me from confusing myself.

If you just want to access files on the windows box then get xsmbrowser
I'm not sure if it comes with Suse but it's great for just browsing
Windows shared files. You will have to do a little bit of configuration
but nothing too complicated you should then just be able to enter the IP
address of the windows box and get access to the shared files.

Phil