[SWLUG] Making a network

Foeh Mannay foeh.mannay at ntlworld.com
Sun Dec 22 19:03:19 UTC 2002

>  * Some sealed device from NetGear or D-Link that integrates a cable
>    modem, a switch, and simple IP Masq. This has the disadvantage of
>    being more expensive and thoroughly inflexible, so even if you wanted
>    to, say, run a server, or forward ports in to machines on your LAN
>    for gaming, instant messaging, media streaming, or whatever, you'd be
>    unable to. It's probably still fairly secure as a consequence, but I
>    wouldn't like one. =)

The NetGear / D-Link device wouldn't contain a cablemodem as only a few types
of cablemodems can be used on ntl's network, and none of them have a NAT
capability.

I couldn't tell you about D-Link or NetGear but I've had a play with a Linksys
NAT router and it's not as inflexible as many people think. It allows port
forwarding, including ranges of ports, one PC can be demilitarised, you can
decide whether to have its internal DHCP give out addresses or not, you can
even (IIRC) restrict which MAC addresses are allowed to work through the
thing. It's not as configurable / functional as a Linux NAT would be (which
is why I don't use it) but it's a pretty decent bit of kit for what it's
designed for. I believe most have the same / more features.

If my Linux machine wasn't on 24/7 I probably would use the Linksys to do the
job. It's an OK piece of kit.

Foeh.