[SWLUG] grep question

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Feb 12 11:23:28 UTC 2002

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 10:13:11AM +0000 or thereabouts, bascule wrote:
> following some advice from telsa at the weekend i have answered my own
> question by knocking up a script to do what i want...
> ...except that that's a lie, it took me ages! :-)

Oh, cool! I have been playing around with this, but in the chat
at the party, that damned IFS (internal field separator) was
mentioned, and I wasted a lot of time discovering I had absolutely
no idea what I was doing with it. My bash book (O'Reilly: Learning
the bash shell) has examples of how to *add* stuff to that, but
not how to remove it.

I used wc -l | cut for the number of lines, btw. I keep meaning to
learn very basic awk, so I have stolen that.

Telsa