[SWLUG] grep question

bascule excession at bigfoot.com
Tue Feb 12 11:44:55 UTC 2002

yeah, i'm fairly certain that my system isn't broken re: $IFS, turns out that
i hadn't fully understood that the default for grep was to use 'basic'
regular expressions but the script i was telling you about aliased grep with
'egrep' which apparently treats ()s as special characters, and these were in
all the patterns that i was having problems with! the presence of spaces
seems to be a red herring! :-)

On Tuesday 12 February 2002 11:23 am, you wrote:
> Oh, cool! I have been playing around with this, but in the chat
> at the party, that damned IFS (internal field separator) was
> mentioned, and I wasted a lot of time discovering I had absolutely
> no idea what I was doing with it. My bash book (O'Reilly: Learning
> the bash shell) has examples of how to *add* stuff to that, but
> not how to remove it.

bascule

--
'Everything will be all right. From History's point of view, that is. There
really isn't any other.'