[SWLUG] Icons - Mandrake 8 - KDE

STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU stephanos at writeme.com
Sun Jul 21 16:28:40 UTC 2002

Dear All

Open Office 1.0

I have managed to install Open Office version 1.0.  But it does not
place any icons onto the desktop or in the applications list of K.

So I set about doing this myself.  I found the command file in
"/root/OpenOffice.org1.0/soffice".

While as root I right clicked on desktop > Create New > Link to new
Applicaition.  I made the command on Execute tab
"/root/OpenOffice.org1.0/soffice".
At the General tab I also changed the icon
On the Permissions Tab only User can read + write, no other x's.
Ownership says: User: root
               Group: root
Back at desktop I then renamed the icon
Works well

When I login as the only user there is not an icon for Open Office.
So I tried making one.  I right click on the desktop and chose
"Link to Application".  On the Execute tab I enter the command
"/root/OpenOffice.org1.0/soffice".  Then I try to run the application
but get an error message:
"KDEInit could not launch /root/OpenOffice.org1.0/soffice".

So this simple task has beat me.  I am  sure there is much to do with
permissions that I do not understand.

Any help appreciated

Stephen (Swansea, Wales, UK)

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup