[SWLUG] new member/disabling modem dialling noises

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Sun Jul 21 08:53:02 UTC 2002

On 20 Jul, Gavin Burnett wrote:
> I have set up my US robotics modem to dial out to my ISP using chat, pppd ,
> etc, but the modem always plays the dialling noises on its internal speaker
> when it is connecting to the ISP. In windows it is possible to set the modem
> volume to zero, and hence not be subject to the horrible screeching noises,
> but I have been unable to find a way to do this in linux.
>
> If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know before I go deaf.

This will be a small tweak to your chat script.

It will likely send a sequence of commands to the modem to reset it
(atz) and then set various modes.

There are two relevant modes you can set, one is the volume level with
codes like L0 to L3, 0 being quietist,  or you can set the speaker mode,
typically M1 is normal, M0 is completly off.

Check the manual that came with your modem for exact details.