[SWLUG] Interesting piece in the Observer

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Nov 18 09:11:10 UTC 2002

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 09:25:32PM -0000 or thereabouts, Lyn David Thomas wrote:
> On 17 Nov 02, at 20:30, Neil Jones wrote:
> >
> > http://www.observer.co.uk/business/story/0,6903,841431,00.html
>
> Yes very interesting, have seen it before though - it will be
> interesting to see how the market penetration of alternatives to MS
> Office alters the public perception of software in general and
> Microsoft in particular....

John Naughton used to write in the Online section of the Guardian
on Thursday. I suspect be was moved off it due to exhibiting
inappropriate competence there. (The Online section is generally
rubbish.) These days he pops up in the Observer.

In a similar vein to that column, the "Review" section of the
Independent on Sunday has a back page column by Michael Bywater:
"How can 95% of you be so stupid?"

He's a Mac user who has suddenly been forced to use a PC with
Windows, and he is not remotely impressed with the experience.
Can't find an online version off-hand, so a few edited highlights
follow.

   I only realised last week that 05 per cent of you are heroes.
   [...]
   This is not a guess. This is an accurate figure, because the
   Apple Macintosh has 5 per cent of the market.

   I have had to use one [a PC] because I am doing something which
   requires a piece of software which only works on the PC. It's not
   even a particularly nice piece of software, but that's all right
   because the PC itself is horrid. And dead. And I don't know why
   it's dead, but what I do know is that it's rubbish, badly designed
   by sociopaths who (italics) do not give a damn.

I should admit he's not too impressed with Linux either: "discounting
the few gibbering swivel-eyed elective autists who use Linux".

But the rest of the article is fun.

Telsa