[SWLUG] mail system setup

bascule asura at theexcession.co.uk
Sat Oct 26 05:07:03 UTC 2002

hi peeps,

i'd like some comment on my plans for mail, i wish to set up one of my boxes
to collect all my mail and then serve it to other boxes via imap so that i
can manage mail sensibly from any box with any of the os' on that box, plus
setup a webmail interface to access my mail from 'outside'.

my first thought was fetchmail plus some imap server, is this the right logic?
fetchmail grabs my mail, dumps it to a directory, then an imap server serves
it?

does fetchmail have to pass the mail on to something like postfix for delivery
into local mailboxes/directories? or will it leave the mail somewhere useful
on it's own?

i want to migrate all my current mailo folders from kmail to whatever setup i
have, the mail seems is stored in mbox format, is this going to make a
problem in migration? i'm hoping that just copying my current ~/Mail
directory is all that will be needed,

i'm also hoping that i will be able to set gotmail up on the mail box to fetch
my hotmail stuff, dump it into the ~/Mail directory and have whatever
imap/webmail prog serve it from there?

i can see that having two progs serving the same mail repository with two
(incl. gotmail) putting into it might be problematic - filelocking perhaps?

i'm also unsure of how filtering is done using imap, will i have to use
fetchmail to filter the mail it fetches into the different folders or can the
imap prog do that, do imap clients (i've never used imap before) display mail
locally according to local rules without changeing how the mail is stored on
the imap server? (implication is that i have to set each imap client up
individually)

does anyone here already do this sort of thing, what would you recommend, i'll
be collecting about 2-3 hundred messages a day from a variety of pop3 sources
plus fetching the occasional hotmail spam message (to keep the hotmail
account alive!)

also (already with the also - ed!) i'm thinking of putting this on a seperate
box, an old patriot pcbook thing about 3" high and 11" square, it has a 300
mhz MII cpu plus it will have an old 1 gb drive and unknown ram (have to get
some), does this seem reasonable?

flames and dissections welcome

bascule

--
There are many reasons for being friends with someone. The fact that he's
pointing a deadly weapon at you is among the top four.