[SWLUG] Linux Awareness Day - Saturday 17th May

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Apr 9 07:48:24 UTC 2003

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 10:19:04PM +0100 or thereabouts, Philip Downer wrote:
> For those that don't remember we still have a room booked in Cardiff
> County Hall for a Linux Awareness Day on Saturday May 17th. This is
> bascially a day where we can provide demos of Linux doing various tasks
> and perform installs on computers that are brought along (if they agree
> that they have backups etc.).
>
> Does anyone here have any particular project/program that they'd be keen
> on demonstrating?
>
> A few people have been asking about doing talks at regular meetings,
> this would be an ideal opportunity for anyone that wants to do a talk or
> would like someone else to do a talk on something to speak up. We should
> be able to schedule a talk or two in throughout the day.

A "what is free software" one might be a thought.

> I recieved quite a few offers when I first mentioned this event from
> people who could bring along their PCs/Laptops for demos etc. I think in
> total including my own systems we had about 7. If anyone can bring along
> a system either to do a (re)install or to demo then could you let me
> know? It would also be quite nice to see some non x86 hardware if anyone
> has any that they could bring along?

I shall stick RH 9 on the laptop then. (And Welsh, Gareth, yes :)) I'll
ask about bringing one of the physically smaller machines along, but we
would need transport for that.

> An interesting idea may be to have a MS Windows box there so that we
> could demonstrate interoperability between Linux and Windows.
>
> Thats just a few ideas that I have gathered from the last few meetings
> to throw into the melting pot, please reply to the list if you have any
> ideas/suggestions and feel free to invite lots of people along. :)

Publicity. I am sure there will be a HOWTO on this, but I
haven't looked. We need: leaflets/fliers; some posters up in
relevant university departments; someone to get onto the
Evening Post and whatever the Cardiff paper is. Or the Western
Mail, I suppose: especially if other Welsh LUGs are doing
anything for the day. There's a LUG in Aber and one in Anglesey:
any more? I will mail if I have the addresses.

> This venue also allows people of any age so for those of you who can't
> normally make it to a Cardiff meeting and are too young for the Goose
> this could be an opportunity for you to meet your fellow swlug members.

Something for people either to remember to bring or to beg from
County Hall: power bars or whatever they're called. If we find
there are only three sockets in the room, it would really help
to bring some of those. We have one that's a monster and has
ten plugs on it. But it's in use and I'm not switching it off:
I think the mailserver is on that :)

Telsa