[SWLUG] Wednesday

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 14 18:13:42 UTC 2003

I thought I'd better say what Linux has to contend with. I know I asked if anybody had a copy of Red Hat going spare but I forgot to say what it had to run on (I don't want to end up with another version of Linux that doesn't work, having been through Corel Linux and SME Linux and having found neither worked). The machine will cope with virtually anything. The contentious bits are:1. Ultra ATA/133 RAID Controller (Maplin/PC World)2. Sitecom RJ45 Ethernet card (Maplin/PC World)3. Exair colour AGP card. (Maplin/PC World) The role of the machine will be:1. File server.2. Printer server.3. Maybe at some point a gateway. The plan is to store all teh stuff on my PC on the server disks and keep the PC disks free (that'll give me extra speed on the PC) Eventually I'd like to run the new machine as a gateway and give it the firewall and anti-virus tasks. Rhys