[SWLUG] Stealing windows from my desktop

Robert McQueen robot101 at debian.org
Tue Apr 29 01:49:53 UTC 2003

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 07:16:28PM +0100, Foeh Mannay wrote:
> Is it possible using one machine (running Linux) to log into another machine
> (also running Linux) and to hijack windows from its desktop, then return them
> when finished?
>
> Any ideas on how do do this very welcome, preferably not including hard work
> like writing remote control plugins for xchat & gaim :o)
>
> Foeh

Justin's idea is the conventional take on this, ie have a session that
follows you round. The AT&T research guys who pioneered VNC had this to
a tee, they had badges which caused the nearest computer to connect to their
session, wherever they were in the office. Anyway, I digress.

What I'm writing to say is that as of GTK2.2, Gdk has support for a
running program to move it's windows to another X display. Someone tried
implementing support for this in Gaim, but he gave up citing some
limitation. I havn't seen much try to use this undoubtedly cool feature,
maybe a plugin for xchat to allow "snarf"ing of a session would be cool.
:D

Regards,
Rob