[SWLUG] can i boot win98 on a slave ide drive from lilo ?

Gareth Lewis Gareth.Lewis at patent.gov.uk
Thu Feb 6 11:46:50 UTC 2003

yes I can !

win98 I think expects to be on the first partition of the first disc. it was on the first partition of the second disc.  Re-reading lilo.conf (RTFM !!) shows you clearly how to swap the mapping of the drives from bios to the win98 bootloader - map-drive=0x80 to=0x81 etc.. & you can also tell lilo to forward particular partition tables.  cool.

Gareth.

>>> "Gareth Lewis" <Gareth.Lewis at patent.gov.uk> 05/02/2003 17:14:07 >>>
OK, so it's not strictliy linux, but, lilo won't boot win 98.
the windows boot loader is on the mbr of the drive - but its the slave drive - does this stop it working ? windows does boot ok as master from this disc.  I point lilo at /dev/hdb and nothing happens.
ta,
Gareth.

SWLUG Discussion List - Discuss at swlug.org.uk