[SWLUG] Installing debian

Carter N. N.Carter at Swansea.ac.uk
Wed Feb 12 10:18:54 UTC 2003

Hello All,

Encouraged by the reports about Debian, I obtained the first three
downloadable ISO's and the md5sums were OK.

Unfortuntately, I received a load of errors while the packages were being
installed. I didn't install much - just the X, development, and teTeX suites
from the 'task' based menu (I skipped the individual package selection).

The errors were bad configurations, files not found, etc. and seemed more
likely if the PC was left for some time before proceeding with the package
installation stage (presumably, the CD was going into power-saving mode and
couldn't spin-up properly).

I looped around the package installation stage several times, hoping each
new repeat would resolve the problems of the previous run, but I'm not sure
this had the desired effect. Now, the system boots OK into console mode, but
fails to run X. I've not tested any apps.

I'm going to just wipe the partition and start again, but in the meantime,
does anyone have any suggestions about why I received so many errors, and/or
how to avoid them?!

Many thanks.

Neil
Neil Carter            Psychology Department
IT Technician    University of Wales Swansea
                       Wales, United Kingdom

http://psy.swansea.ac.uk/staff/Carter/