[SWLUG] Installing debian

Gareth Bowker bowkerg at teccon.co.uk
Wed Feb 12 14:42:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 13:52, Stuart Herbert wrote:
> Strange - I'm also trying to get debian installed at the moment.
>
> I downloaded the netinst CD image for debian-testing, and booted it under
> Vmware.  Didn't get very far - the image didn't seem to recognise any of my
> Vmware hard disks or Cdroms, and had a very small selection of networking
> modules, so I couldn't get networking installed either.
>
> Bit of a shock!
>
> I couldn't find any docs about the netinst CD image on debian.org, and
> Google pretty much turned up a blank.  Can anyone point me at something I've
> missed?

I've not tried using the testing netinst CD, however I've never had any
problems with the stable netinst CD. You can install the base then
upgrade to testing from there (or should be able to!). It might be worth
delving a bit deeper into the problem and then reporting the bug(s) - I
seem to remember that the testing netinst CDs are quite new, so probably
fairly untested in terms of breadth of hardware.

HTH,

Gareth