[SWLUG] partitions

Steve Marvell steve at devon-it.co.uk
Fri Jan 10 14:41:03 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 01:37:08PM -0000, Davage, Marcus wrote:

> How big should /boot and /tmp be? My 30GB drive has 14GB for Linux to play
> with (until I get a new, bigger disk).

That rather depends on how big it is now and how big it's likely to
get. Personally, I use massive tmp file for data processing, so I'd be
inclinded to make it 2Gb, in the context you describe. That's likely
to be too big for you though. If you're not going to use 30Gb, I'd be
inclined to keep /tmp allocation in the / partition.

/boot is unlikely to exceed 32Mb, even if you are into kernel
development. I don't know, however, how big debuggable kernels
get. 32Mb is such a small percentage of 14Gb, that doubling it, say,
would not make much of a difference.

> Also, is there a dynamic partition resizing/adding tool I could use with
> Linux, which won't delete my existing data?

I don't think so.

Steve