[SWLUG] partitions

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Fri Jan 10 15:02:34 UTC 2003

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 01:37:08PM -0000, Davage, Marcus wrote:
> > Also, is there a dynamic partition resizing/adding tool I could use with
> > Linux, which won't delete my existing data?

There are a few ways to do it, but i dont think any are for the feint
hearted beginner.

If you start out from the word go using LVM (Logical Volume Management)
then you can keep aside a chunk of disk and add it onto other partitions
later when you work out where you need it.

There are also some tools to resize ext2 or ext3 partitions, such as
Parted. (http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/)
It has limitations, like needing space to exist at the end of the old
partition for it to expand into.

Another way is to turn a pair of partitions (the old one plus some empty
new space) into a single raid partition using linear or Raid-0 mode,
which makes the two partitions act as a single larger one.
This can be handy for example to glue two older 10Gb disks into a single
20Gb one. It doesnt require that they be the same size either.