[SWLUG] Re. Chelsea Cafe

David Elir Evans david at clyne.co.uk
Thu Jan 23 10:00:22 UTC 2003

Dear Group,

The Chelsea Cafe is more of a restaurant than cafe in the evening, so
having a meeting that is longer than an expected duration of a meal is
likely to hack off the owners.

The pub accross the road however, the Bank statement, does not have a
jukebox and has a restaurant area, but I do not know until what time
that serves food until.  There is also the issue about under 18 members,
and it may also raise objections with some members with respect to the
unfortunate incident at the Prince of Wales Cardiff last year, which is
owned by the same chain.

My view of the desirable features of a venue to be as follows in order
of priority

* Allows gatherings of 10-20 people for 3 hrs
* Not Loud
* Safe (i.e. you can get your laptop out without it leaving without you,
no harrassment from staff / clientelle)
* Not Busy (on Mondays, Tuesdays or Wednesdays)
* Tolerant of supervised under 18s
* Free to use
* Proximity to Railway Station
* Food availability at reasonable cost