[SWLUG] Off topic - NT4

Gareth Lewis Gareth.Lewis at patent.gov.uk
Tue Jul 1 14:13:16 UTC 2003

Hi,

in work, I'm using NT4 and iv'e got a new machine P4 + 2Ghz and 1G of ram.  Unfortunately , its as slow as the old machine (p2 266mHz 192Mb ram).

anyone know if NT4.00 (SP6) is broken and doesn't know what to do with all the new ram it has ?

it could be that it 's actually trying to swap processes /application in and out when I minimise a window. If i minimise a 70 Mb java app. the harddisc chunters away for 10 seconds while my screen freezes !  the length of the freeze seems to be linked to the length of time I've been using that app.  (i do know that the  java app leaks memory)

I told IT in work that gnu/linux/kde doesn't do this, but apparently we're moving to XP in 6 months - boo.

anyone got any ideas ?

Gareth.