[SWLUG] Off topic - NT4

vlado vlado at dikini.net
Wed Jul 2 08:50:40 UTC 2003

> in work, I'm using NT4 and iv'e got a new machine P4 + 2Ghz and 1G of ram.  Unfortunately , its as slow as the old machine (p2 266mHz 192Mb ram).
> anyone know if NT4.00 (SP6) is broken and doesn't know what to do with all the new ram it has ?
> anyone got any ideas ?
Well, NT4sp6 does know what to do with the ram and as a quick proof you
should be able to see it either from the system properties or the task
manager, but there are too many odd issues with it and various
intermittent delays. The classic is when it is looking for some
non-existent/temporarily unavailable/or simply slow shares, various
other delays wich are coming form network operations probably locking of
some kind, other examples include waiting for a call wich never comes or
a couple of minute timeout. Fair enough usually this means some sort of
misconfiguration, but again how do you configure that beast properly!
ideas? chase your local MSCE guru to track down the nexact problem.
sorry, too many choices and ecrything depends on your local setup too
much.

as a sidenote, can you press the enter key from time to time in your
groupwise, as my hand hurts when I try to find what exacty to reply to
or cite, please.

Cheers,
Vlado