[SWLUG] Samba - Mandrake 9.1

Foeh Mannay foeh.mannay at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 23 22:41:11 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 23 Jul 2003 1:44 am, STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU wrote:
> I have tried "smbpasswd" but cannot change it without knowing
> what it was.  And since I never set one I am hoping someone
> out there can help.  I did try the root and only user pasword,
> but they are not correct.

When running as root, smbpasswd should not require the old password. In my
case, I made sure there was a user in linux with the same name as I used to
log in on Windows (though this is not necessary) then used smbpasswd to
create the password for that user.

For example, I usually go in as Administrator in Windows 2000 on my laptop, so
I added a user to my redhat machine called "administrator". Then as root, I
could run:

smbpasswd administrator

Note that I have to use the existing windows user name and password here.

Maybe I've not understood the question, but if you haven't already done this,
try it out :o)

Foeh.