[SWLUG] Samba - Mandrake 9.1

STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU stephanos at writeme.com
Thu Jul 24 01:05:06 UTC 2003

Dear Foeh / anyone

Thanks for the reply and advice.

As root I tried
  "smbpasswd stephanos" (the only user)
  "smbpasswd root"
  "smbpasswd"  (smbpasswd assumes root)

You were right in that they do not ask for an existing
password.  I entered the new password twice as prompted.
Alas, all three attempts failed with the same problem
  "Failed to find entry for user stephanos/root/root
   Failed to modify password entry for user stephanos/root/root"

Just in case it is relevant the Windows machine is 98SE
and I do not have to supply a password to use Windows or
access the network.  The nodes connect via a switch.

Any further advice welcome, though I will understand if
this is not possible.

Stephen (Swansea, Wales, UK)

On Wednesday 23 Jul 2003 1:44 am, STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU wrote:

> I have tried "smbpasswd" but cannot change it without knowing
> what it was.  And since I never set one I am hoping someone
> out there can help.  I did try the root and only user pasword,
> but they are not correct.

When running as root, smbpasswd should not require the old
password. In my case, I made sure there was a user in linux
with the same name as I used to log in on Windows (though
this is not necessary) then used smbpasswd to create the
password for that user.

For example, I usually go in as Administrator in Windows
2000 on my laptop, so I added a user to my redhat machine
called "administrator". Then as root, I could run:
  smbpasswd administrator
Note that I have to use the existing windows user name and
password here.

Maybe I've not understood the question, but if you haven't
already done this, try it out :o)
Foeh.
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers