[SWLUG] Samba - Mandrake 9.1

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Mon Jul 28 09:26:50 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 09:52, STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU wrote:
> 1) Changed Windows 98SE to have a log in box and created a
> user: stephanos, password: XX.  This is identical to the only
> user I have in Mandrake.  I think that was a good move.
Yes, that will simplify things quite a bit.

> 2)  Configured the the /etc/smb.conf file as:
>    smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
This is different to the /etc/samba/smbpasswd you mention below.
You probably need to correct this entry.

> The /etc/samba/smbusers says:
>   root = administrator admin
>   nobody = guest pcguest smbguest
This wont be used as there is no entry in the smb.conf to tell it where
this file is, but it doesnt matter as your usernames match now.

> 3)  I tried the command "smbadduser" as a user and as root, to
> create the user in samba.
>       smbadduser
>       smbadduser stephanos
> Both produced the message "Command not found".  I thought I
> might be in the wrong directory so I did a search (as root) for
> a file  called "smbadduser" but found nothing.

smbpasswd -a  stephanos		# To add the user
smbpasswd stephanos		# To set the password

You can get a brief list of the options by typing 'smbpasswd -h'
or read the man page for more detail.

> What is still not clear is:
> a) which tool I use in Mandrake to look at the Windows 98SE PC ?
You would mount the windows machine as if it were another disk, one of
type smbfs, i have no idea if the mandrake gui tools support this, to do
it from the command line use something like

mount //win98pc/myshare /mnt/windows -t smbfs

Read the smbmount man page for a list of the options available.

> b) how to add a user using "smbadduser" ?
smbpasswd -a