[SWLUG] Samba - Mandrake 9.1

STEPHEN CONSTANTINOU stephanos at writeme.com
Mon Jul 28 08:52:23 UTC 2003

Dear Foeh and Justin and all

Thanks for the input.  I have read the man page for smb.conf
file.  Much I do not understand.

However, I have read the o'Reilly online tutorial and so have
done the following

1) Changed Windows 98SE to have a log in box and created a
user: stephanos, password: XX.  This is identical to the only
user I have in Mandrake.  I think that was a good move.
SMOOTHWALL appears in my Network Neighbourhood.  When I click
it it now says "SMOOTHWALL is not acesible.  No permission to access resource".  Smoothwall is the name of my hardware firewall.

2)  Configured the the /etc/smb.conf file as:
[global]
; Uncomment this if you want a guest account
; guest account = nobody
   log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
   lock directory = /var/lock/samba
   share modes = yes
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   read only = no
   create mode = 0750
[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no
   public = yes
[public]
  comment = Public Stuff
  path = /home/public
  public = yes
  writable = yes
  printable = no

The /etc/samba/smbpasswd file is blank

The /etc/samba/smbusers says:
  root = administrator admin
  nobody = guest pcguest smbguest

3)  I tried the command "smbadduser" as a user and as root, to
create the user in samba.
      smbadduser
      smbadduser stephanos
Both produced the message "Command not found".  I thought I
might be in the wrong directory so I did a search (as root) for
a file  called "smbadduser" but found nothing.

Mandrake Control Centre > Software Management > RPM Drake says
that I have all the Samba packages installed.

4)  I have been through the Mandrake Control Centre > Server Configuration >  Samba Wizard as well.

I think I am close.  I think I just have to tell Samba there
is a user: stephanos, password: XX (the same as the windows
login) and the same as a Linux user.

What is still not clear is:
a) which tool I use in Mandrake to look at the Windows 98SE PC ?
b) how to add a user using "smbadduser" ?

Any further help appreciated.

Stephen (Swansea, Wales, UK)

Foeh wrote>
Sorry, before you do the smbpasswd I forgot you need to
use smbadduser to create the user in samba.

I can't quite remember how you tell 98 to log on as a
specific user without bringing up a username . password box
at the start, but I know it can be done. If you don't mind
having a login box at the start, you can go to control panel,
then networks, then choose your primary network login as
Client for Microsoft Networks. That should let you choose
which user you log in as when the computer starts, so you
can make it match the login you create on Linux.

Foeh.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers