[SWLUG] any suggestions of a web host for a charity site ?

bryn hagbard at nildram.co.uk
Thu Jun 5 15:50:40 UTC 2003

Gareth Lewis wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've promised to build a little web site for a small charity - nothing
 > too complicated - just general info, news/events
> and pretty pictures etc.  may possibly want some form of interactivity
 > in the future - I don't think any online selling will ever be needed,
> but possibly something like a guest book, or form filling for info /
> competitions etc. might be needed. (possibly a maillist ??? )
>
> so I'll need 5-20 Mb for lots of pretty pics etc. and 2 domain names
 > pointing to the same intro page (cymraeg/english). possibly php / cgi
 > / perl to mysql or something. any recommendations for hosts ?

What sort of traffic level do you anticipate? If it's small-medium I
know some people with a co-lo box in telehouse who are happy to be
approached for low volume sites and for the price they'd charge
(contributing to the box's running cost basically) it may be worth it
for the benefits of nice admins & shell accounts etc etc.

If it's *really* small, maybe a home hosting setup with someone like
nildram would suit? I'm planning to do this as a learning exercise for
my own domain sometime this year.

> will these 'free hosting'  type of places be too much hassle ?

I don't like them, but then, I don't have a lot to do with them so I
may not be the best judge. Too much focus on FPE and crappy
counters/stats and not enough on service.

> PS,   two that have been mentioned are uklinux and getdotted (?)
> also,  I should get around to grabbing my own personal domain name
> for the other bits and bobs I do - what are these places like that
> just provide a redirect dns to another dns - do you get to have the
> dn registered to you or the company ?

I've always used VI (http://www.vi.net) but that was mainly because I
knew some guys there & used to get it cheap. They're very very
reliable (handle guiness, bt, mercedes etc iirc) but a bit pricey - a
.org for 2 years is about £50.

B.