[SWLUG] Re: Discuss digest, Vol 1 #255 - 6 msgs

Gareth Bowker bowkerg at teccon.co.uk
Wed May 7 14:22:36 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 15:13, Rhys Sage wrote:

> I'm still thinking about that external modem of mine. It has a 9pin
> and 25pin connection. The 9 pin is a very sloppy fit and my Linux box
> won't take the 25pin (wrong gender). The 25pin fits snugly on my
> PC and Win 98 recognises what it is. Linux can't recognise it so I
> don't know whether the modem is stuffed or it's just the 9-pin plug
> that's stuffed. My laptop has the correct 25-pin port but as I'm
> running NT4 on the laptop, there's a severe driver problem. I learnt
> to let NT4 to do what it wants, when it wants - it's too stable to
> complain about its lack of drivers.

um, the wrong gender 25-pin port on your computer - it's not the
parallel port is it? The parallel port is a female connector, 25 pins
and you most probably don't want to connect the modem up to this...

How do you know that Linux won't pick up the modem? What have you done
that gives you that impression? Have you sent it any AT commands or
suchlike? There are a fair few things that it could be, if you can tell
us what's not worked it'll help narrow things down considerably.

Gareth
--
| Gareth Bowker           | <bowkerg at teccon.co.uk> |
| Software Engineer       | http://www.thetcl.com/ |