[SWLUG] More stuff

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 9 14:25:59 UTC 2003

If anybody's interested, I have a PCI modem and a
seriel Logitech webcam that are looking for a good
home. I don't want money for them though - they might
or might not be working.

When's the next Swansea meeting?

Here's a cautionary tale:

I bought all the bits to make a new computer - case,
CPU, board (with everything onboard), memory and fan.
I put it all together and it fizzled a bit and
stopped. I took the whole thing back to the shop and
they said "it'll cost you twenty quid" to which I
replied "not on yer nelly - you sold me duff parts".
Anyway, the upshot was they replaced the processor
with a faster one and charged me the difference. Well,
that was only an extra 7 quid. I get the thing home,
get XP and Norton onto it. What do I find? The 2000
which was supposed to have been replaced by a 2200 was
in fact replaced by a 1500. Not only that but the
screws retaining the motherboard had not been replaced
and the thumbscrews from the back of the case have
also gone. Phoning the shop on Saturday morning, they
tried to tell me it's my bios settings that make the
CPU look different. Well, the bios, Windows and Norton
all consider it to be an AMD 1500. The guy went really
quiet then buck passed. More on this as it happens.

Rhys

(currently using XP - which is a pig to set up)