[SWLUG] *blush*

Bryn Reeves hagbard at nildram.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 14:09:40 UTC 2003

On 22:05 Wed 12 Nov     , Rhys Sage wrote:
> The plan with my new PC is fairly complex - it'll be a
> dual use system (maybe more) with removable drives
> (hence the caddies) so I can use Linux and Windows,
> possibly BeOs too simply by taking one set of drives
> out and replacing them with another. The plan does not
> end there, however. While my PC currently has an
> LS-120 (remember them from King Harold's days?) and
> the usual drive quota, there's room for HDD 2 in a
> caddy and for a DVD too.

If these are IDE drives, I wouldn't recommend using caddies.

We've tried quite a few different makes and models here at
work. We had a similar idea, to just have one prototype
hardware unit, and allow developers to have a caddy each with
their current test build on.

We found in practice that the IDE caddies (even the expensive
metal ones) were very unreliable when swapped a lot. They
frequently don't detect correctly and we often found we had
to strip them down completely to get them working again. In
all we were wasting more time with the caddies than we were
saving - now we just leave the lid off like we used to :)

Just my 2 eggs worth...

Bryn