[SWLUG] LinuxConf

Dafydd Walters dafydd at walters.net
Thu Oct 2 22:24:57 UTC 2003

Dafydd Harries wrote:
>  - start X on the Windows machine with "startx"
>  - ssh -CX redhat-machine xterm
> 	within an xterm on the Windows machine to run an xterm on the
> 	RedHat machine: C is for compression, X if for X forwarding. You
> 	might have to enable X forwarding on the RedHat box, see
> 	/etc/ssh/sshd_config. I know that Debian disables it by default
> 	for security reasons, don't know about RedHat.
>  - run whatever X program you want

I use this exact technique almost every day to administer a Red Hat 7.3
box from a Win2K workstation.  BTW, I don't remember having to explicitly
enable X forwarding on the Red Hat machine, so I believe it should work
"out of the box" (but it's a long time since I set up that machine, so I
could be wrong on that).