[SWLUG] Compaq Armada 110 and Wireless Internet Access

Matt Hill matt at twpsyn.com
Wed Apr 14 20:53:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 21:23, 'o-Dzin Tridral wrote:
> I know that there are PCMCIA wireless cards (including some from Linksys).  What I don't know is what would be the best one to buy

the first piece of advice is not to buy the Linksys .11g card - it uses
a broadcom chipset, drivers for which aren't available - they only
produce windows ones, and haven't been co-operative with efforts to
develop Linux support.

check out http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz for a
list of some adapters that are known to work with linux-wlan-ng.

I believe there are also orinoco-cs drivers for orinoco cards, but I
can't remember (or find) a webpage for those.

this was the state of play a month or two ago when my Linux laptop
crapped out, I'm still waiting for Samsung's agents to repair and return
it :(

I did have plenty of luck with an old Netgear .11b card, but I suspect
that with the .11g router you'll be wanting 54 meg  ;)

hth

Matt