[SWLUG] cheap laser printers ??

Foeh Mannay f.mannay at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 19 16:12:54 UTC 2004

My 2p worth:

I've got a brother HL-1250, which I don't believe they make any more,
but it's probably the best bit of computer related kit I've ever had.
My last and only toner cost £40 for a high capacity unit but I've had
the same one in it since 2000 and the print quality is pristine. Plus
I've *never* had a paper jam. Jammed an envelope in it once but that
was my fault :o) Speaks PCL and is supported under linux in its own
right too. Flatbed, front feed, acetate capable and a very reliable
(and deep) paper tray where the paper is flat so doesn't get dog-eared
when not in use, and is concealed so you don't get dust on the rollers.

I've worked with HP lasers (1200s mainly) and they used to aggrevate me
to be honest - no proper power switch, paper feeder is trash (jams /
misfeeds / multi page feeds are common, lets dust fall straight on the
mechanism) and there doesn't seem to be a flatbedding option. Plus the
lights give next to no diagnosis of what any problem is. Toner about
the same cost as for my Brother, only it does around half the coverage
IIRC.

I think the similar looking things to my printer that are generally
advertised tend to be win printers but a little higher up the range
(and not much more money) you get the genuine article with a parallel
port. They probably do an ethernet version now as well but I haven't
looked at printers for years since I have no plans whatsoever to
replace this one unless it's destroyed in a fire!

Foeh