[SWLUG] Scanners

Philip Barnes phil at trig222.f9.co.uk
Wed Dec 29 16:26:11 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 08:26 +0000, Nick Condon wrote:
> I've decided it's time to get myself a scanner, but I know next to nothing. I
> understand I need to use SANE, and from what I can see, linux-compatibility
> in the scanner world is less than stellar.
>
> So perhaps I need to tap the wisdom of the lug. For a cheap, linux-compatible,
> flatbed scanner: What are you all using? Any recommendations, suggestions,
> do-not-touch-with-a-barge-pole war stories?

Hi Nick
I have an Epson Perfection 610, a basic USB scanner. It was working
perfectly with the 2.4 kernel, however the 2.6 kernel seemed to break
them all.

I am using fedora core 3 and had not been able to use the scanner, other
than by using an ubuntu live disc since core 2. There has been a lot of
fixing between the kernel people and epson which now means I can scan,
as root at the moment, using both xsane and iscan.

Epson have a linux support/software site at
http://www.epkowa.co.jp/english/linux_e/index.html.

To get where I am I have done a complete reinstall of FC3, as I think I
had made a complete mess of the config trying different fixes. Before I
even tied the scanner I upgraded to a testing kernel (2.6.9-1.715_FC3),
the latest update one does not work. To get iscan working I had to
edit /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf to change the scanner line to USB.

HTH Phil