[SWLUG] Scanners

Paul G. Richardson phantompgr at btopenworld.com
Wed Dec 29 20:50:49 UTC 2004

Hi guys,

As you referred to, installation of scanners was a breeze using Fedora
Core 1 and the 2.4 kernel. It was rather nice because I did little
research as to the type of scanner as I picked it up in PCWorld on a
wim. It was a Managers Special been given away cheaply due to no driver
disc included. Thankfully Linux had no need of such driver disks.

The scanner was a Packard Bell Diamond 2400 Plus and USB. These were the
notes I wrote myself to remind me of the config (gathered off the net
and results of my tinkering). Note the gt68xx driver is for my scanner
but digging around on the web site / net should show you your correct
driver.

<NOTES>
Scanner installation - Suspiciously easier than one thought!!

Install the xsane, sane and gimp-print, gimp-sane rpms
Run xsane off the command line which fails but gives a message on where
the scanner driver should go (yes Paul you dont necessarily have the
driver yet)

Go to http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/gt68xx-backend and download the
driver that the error message suggested

Place the driver in the appropriate directory and Robert is your
Mother's brother!!

OCR requires separate installation of gocr. Install this and to use ocr
just ensure the program is in the xsane setup and ask to save the file
as TEXT. Does OCR automatically.
</NOTES>

However upgrading to FC2 (2.6 kernel) produced problems similar to those
Phil encountered. Yet after a couple of days head scratching the
problems were all ironed out and I can use my scanner just like FC1.

My Notes are below that point to problems encountered, things I checked
and their solutions. I would stress that if there is a problem with only
the root user using sane then examine the permissions of the USB devices
in /dev as a possible avenue of investigation.

<MORE NOTES>
In addition to the Scanner documentation, the 2.6 kernel
uses usblib as the module for dealing with scanners. This means that all
versions below of sane-backend below 1.14 will not work correctly out of
the box becuase the hotplug usb script mounts the device as root and
thus no user can see the
scanner device.

There is a fix for this in 1.14

Installing 1.14 on its own I used /etc as the config directory. However,
unless
the environment variable SANE_CONFIG_DIR specifies the /etc/sane.d
directory scanimage will not find the scanner unless you are in
/etc/sane.d (using .) or the
backend was installed using /usr/local/etc/sane.d.
So this env variable needs to be set in order to use the scanner.

Also in the gt68xx.conf file specify the following:
firmware "path to firmware" -> eg. /usr/share/sane/gt68xx/*.usb
/dev/usb/scanner0 -> path to the scanner device just under the firmware
entry. Otherwise scanimage just does not find anything.

Steps to follow:
1. install package or tar
2. run sane-find-scanner to locate scanner. If usb then ensure hotplug
stuff sorted
3. add 2 lines to gt68xx.conf file about dev location and fireware
4. place firmware in appropriate location
5. create env variable SANE_CONFIG_DIR.
6. run scanmagic -L and this should list the scanner
</MORE NOTES>

Hope this helps.

Regards

Paul