[SWLUG] Connecting multiple PCs

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 18:10:11 UTC 2004

Thanks for all the replies.
The problem I have with using a hub is that when I try to transfer a gig or
so of data, it goes very slowly through the hub. When I whip the hub out and
use a straight PC-PC crossover connection, the data fairly whips across. I'm
talking about a factor of ten faster. Thus, it seems that my expensive hub
is a fine example of why Chinese stuff is always seen as bad.

I'll go for the switch. Interestingly, somebody suggested that I keep using
SME but use the XP box as the gateway and use the server as a file, network
and printer server instead of using it as a gateway. That makes a lot of
sense to me.

So, my network will consist of XP main PC/Gateway with Mandrake PC and NT4
Laptop connected via my SME server. All my cabling is currently 10 Base T.

As far as security is concerned, I hope AVG antivirus on my XP box and
Outpost firewall will keep the entire network safe.

Yours

Rhys

Join the anti-spam project: