[SWLUG] Connecting multiple PCs

Peter Joseph kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 20:31:51 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 18:10, Rhys Sage wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies.
> The problem I have with using a hub is that when I try to transfer a gig or
> so of data, it goes very slowly through the hub. When I whip the hub out and
> use a straight PC-PC crossover connection,
>  the data fairly whips across.

How bizzare, assuming network traffic is light (which it would be on
your network) your hub should easily put through 100mbps per second. It
seems to me that prehaps your hub is a 10mpbs and NOT a 100mpbs hub.
Some older (or possibly just rubbish) hubs may only provide 10mpbs
network bandwidth.

> I'm
> talking about a factor of ten faster.

Yes, you have a 10mpbs hub then!!

>  Thus, it seems that my expensive hub
> is a fine example of why Chinese stuff is always seen as bad.

I have a 3 1/2 year old Netgear 4 port, 100mpbs Hub, it cos £66 back
then, i'm amazed that you did get a 100mpbs hub for an 'expensive'
price.

> I'll go for the switch. Interestingly, somebody suggested that I keep using
> SME but use the XP box as the gateway and use the server as a file, network
> and printer server instead of using it as a gateway. That makes a lot of
> sense to me.

Erk...use an XP box as gateway, when you could put a Linux system on
there? What happened to your 'ultra secure' aspirations, you seem to
want to go down an 'ultra INSECURE' route. There are plenty of custom
designed Linux distros for use as a pure network gateway..Smoothwall etc
etc. Go for that, also XP is totally crap at being customised to do
routing tasks and any XP based 'firewall' software pales in comparison
to what you can do with a Linux box.

If you feel you NEED an XP machine on your network, make your XP box the
file,print/network server. It will be behind the secure Linux gateway
and have an internal ip address so it cannot be directly reached from
the outside.

> So, my network will consist of XP main PC/Gateway with Mandrake PC and NT4
> Laptop connected via my SME server. All my cabling is currently 10 Base T.

When you say 10 Base T do you mean 'Cat 5' cable? Cabling is rated by
Catagory, Cat 5 being able to do upto 100mbps...

> As far as security is concerned, I hope AVG antivirus on my XP box and
> Outpost firewall will keep the entire network safe.

HOPE being the operative word...dont do it...go for a Linux gateway or
you will have the '13373 H3x0rs' using your network as a Warez
repository within a week!

If you want any specific advice regarding what my gate/way server
arrangement/setup is, config issues etc then just ask!

Peter

--
Peter Joseph   598454F1                      Debian GNU/Linux Maintainer
kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk                          kneecaps at debian.org