[SWLUG] Setting tuner type for BTTV card with kernel support?

Dave Cridland [Home] dave at cridland.net
Sun Feb 15 22:02:49 UTC 2004

On Sun Feb 15 13:11:41 2004, Foeh Mannay wrote:
>Has anyone ever done this before? I don't really want to recompile the
>kernel to remove support & build it as a module (I'm told it's less
>efficient so it would be a bit of a step backwards) but if noone here
>has any suggestions I think I'll have to!

Modules aren't so much less efficient that you'd actually be able to tell,
even with a really accurate stopwatch. You're more likely to save memory,
too, assuming you don't watch TV *all* the time. But the whole module thing
seems to be a territory of profound personal taste. (Next I'll be telling you
what distribution, or text editor to use.)

As for figuring out what turner you have, the easiest method would be
watching the kernel logs closely. You'll probably find it by a quick grep
through /var/log/kern.log for '[tT]uner'

Dave.