[SWLUG] re: disheartened

Foeh Mannay f.mannay at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 22 16:26:47 UTC 2004

The mounting drives problem sounds like you haven't run smbpasswd on
the server. 9x wasn't too bothered by this but 2000 & XP are, as unless
you have expressly told them to do so (ISTR this may even need a
patch), they won't downgrade their security to the use the
authentication types older versions of windows (and vanilla samba) use.

If you can't be bothered going through Justin's recommendations, it
would at least be worth having a look at smbpasswd. You will need to
add a user matching your XP login and then give it a password.

As for the FTP thing, I'd agree with Justin - it appears from the tiny
amount of information that you've provided that perhaps you are FTPing
anonymously from IE, whereas when using a proper FTP client you may be
trying to log in as root, which is usually disallowed since FTP sends
passwords in the clear over the network so it's an awful security hole.

XP interoperates fine with Linux, you just need to get samba playing
properly.