xp and linux printing was: Re: [SWLUG] disheartened

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Mon Feb 23 10:11:06 UTC 2004

bascule wrote:

> hmmm, it works for me here jonathan
> xp prints to my deskjet connected to my linux machine
> it is listed in xp as being connected via 'internet' port
> http://192.168.0.2:631/printers/HP_Deskjet_693

Works for me likewise. Our entire company - two XP pro, three XP home,
three 98 boxes and a Mac all share an HP Deskjet via CUPS on Giles, our
server. It took a colleague an afternoon of setting up and hacking
config files but we've not had any problems with it in six months or so.
In fact it works better on the Windows network than it did when it was
on a Windows machine for reasons that are far too dreary to go into. It
also has a superb web-based admin console.

Steve