[SWLUG] Solution!

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 28 22:05:45 UTC 2004

It transpired that the fiendish problems I was
experiencing with networking SME and XP was that
Outpost firewall is a bit broken. It worked fine under
Windows 98 but does not work well under XP - even in
Windows 98 mode. It was freezing XP on connection to
either the phone or the network because it simply
couldn't cope with dialup and LAN networking
installed.

Upon uninstalling Outpost, the freezes stopped. The
system clock stopped sliding slowly off the edge of
the screen and the dial-up networking icon stopped
vanishing.

That was a problem I had not anticipated as Outpost
seemed to be working and doing its job as it was
supposed to. Having said that, I had problems with
Zone Alarm under Windows 98. That simply stopped
working after a couple of years and didn't uninstall
properly - it left its RAS library in place, rendering
dial-up impossible until the problem had been located
manually.

Rhys