[SWLUG] Curse of the Circumfexes

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Tue Jul 20 13:46:38 UTC 2004

Gareth Bowker wrote:

> If it's set up to use utf-8 (I don't use Kmail so I don't know how to do
> that) then it should "just work".

Yep, that's the most important bit. Y and W with circumflexes aren't in
the Western ISO encoding map (probably not the right word but I can't
think of a better), but are in Unicode. This is a huge annoyance for
those of us having to use certain proprietary development packages on
certain proprietary operating systems - namely me, using Macromedia
Director on Windows. Flash is fine and supports Unicode, but Director
doesn't, so getting y and w with circumflexes involves a whole load of
black magic with character spacing.

But I digress - making sure you're using Unicode is the big bit.

Steve