[SWLUG] Any Good Linux Hosting Services in South Wales?

Paul Jefferies pbhj at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 24 14:01:29 UTC 2004

As noone appears to be biting you can have my tuppence worth ...

I've used a couple of webhosting providers in the UK (studentwebhosting and
hostingunlimited). From my research most seem to offer pretty much the same,
for about £40 you can get a PHP / MySQL account with ftp and cpanel (an open
source admin system, like webmin(?)) access. Most of these allow a phpBB (or
similar) system to be installed at the click of an icon (hostingunlimited,
in common with several others use fantastico to make this easy).

FWIW you can usually get all this + several email accounts + ftp access ...
for about £40-50 p.a. This seems to make V21 a bit over priced, no?

Shell accounts are another matter. Why do you need one? If you think you
need it for standard web serving you don't. Most companies only sell SSH
with their colocation / dedicated server packages - presumably to prevent
abuse from hackers destroying their web servers!? Colocation/dedicated
appears to start at about £40-50 per month!!