[SWLUG] Installation question

Thomas Adam thomas_adam at bonbon.net
Sun Jun 27 22:26:20 UTC 2004

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 23:20:38 +0100
bascule <asura at theexcession.co.uk> wrote:

> not necessarily thomas :)

Ok, first thing:

1. Unless you have good reason to, it is advisable to keep these
discussions on-list, so mailing me off-list is hardly going to solve
that. Don't do it.

2. Top-posting is *extremely* annoying.

> some monitors do complain when asked to do something they can't do,
> in the past there used to be great warnings about not asking for too
> high a resolution from a monitor in case it broke, modern monitors
> avoid breaking by displaying such a message as peter describes, it

Indeed.

> does seem perhaps that for some reason the video mode that the install
> tries to use is being objected to by the monitor, i assume that yast2
> is a full on graphical installer?

It is. Yast1 used to be (and probably still is) the text version. But
let's be logical here. Since FB (Frame Buffers) are used during the
install, and again, so is X11, regardless of what used to be in the
past, this is more than likely an iffy video/modeline issue.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"Annie Hall leaves New York in the end. Press rewind, and Woody gets her
back again." -- "Look Inside America", Blur.