[SWLUG] Nautilus

Peter (dsl) apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Jun 29 21:47:05 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Adam" <thomas_adam at bonbon.net>
To: <discuss at swlug.org.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 10:15 PM
Subject: Re: [SWLUG] Nautilus

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:10:23 +0100
> "Peter (dsl)" <apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
> > Me again.  Sorry.
>
> Hello. :)
>
> > OK, I got SuSE 8.2 installed, but now every time I log in, I get
> > hundreds(and I mean hundreds) of Nautilus processes running.  They
> > just keep replicating until the machine locks up - which is why this
> > is being written from Windows.
>
> That's very very odd. At the prompt (heh, you know where it is now) boot
> into text-only mode:
>
> Linux 3
>
> and login as the user that you're starting X with. If you then type:
>
> tail -n 50 ~/.xsession-errors
>
> You should (hopefully see) some useful information about why nautilus
> feels the need to spawn itself. If you think you see something of use,
> post it to us.
>
> > I boot into KDE, and sometimes it even swaps me over into Gnome for no
> > apparent reason.
> >
> > What's going on?  Can anyone help?
>
> You'll need to define yourself a ~/.xsession file, the details of which
> can be found here:
>
> http://www.hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxHints/StartX
>
> -- Thomas Adam

Here is what .xsession-errors says:

kbuildsycoca running...
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: /opt/kde3/lib/libkdecore.so.4:
undmcop warning: user defined signal handler found for SIG_PIPE, overriding
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!

This is then followed by some gpg warnings about insecure memory which I
don't think are relevant, but which can be cured by doing:

$ chmod u+s /path/to/gpg

apparently, according to the gnupg.org faq.

Then there's a report of the client being killed (by me).  And that's all.

Does any of that help?

Peter