[SWLUG] looking for employment

Rhys Sage rhys_sage at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 10 16:52:56 UTC 2004

> The I.T. job market seems to be quite tough at the
> moment. I moved back to
> the UK in October after working in the States for a
> few years, and the job
> market has changed beyond all recognition in the
> time I've been away.
> When I left this country in 1999 as a contract
> developer, the rep at my
> recruiting agency would regularly take me out for
> lunch - now the agencies
> don't even return my phone calls. How things have
> changed :-(
>
> Regards,
> Dafydd.

It does seem that the employment market has collapsed
again. It seems to go in waves with IT. In 1990 (just
as I qualified from WGIHE with Cobol/Pascal/C/Basic
under my belt), the market collapsed. Then in about 97
we had the dot com boom followed by the dot com bust
and then things wavered down then up and now they're
plummeting to 1990 levels again.

I'm in the midst of recoding a program I wrote over
Christmas designed to send automatic reminders to
employment agencies on a weekly basis that I'm
available. That might be available as a free beta test
for people looking for work from here, in a week or
two. It is, however, a windows program.

I just had an interesting event with my PC. Has
anybody else experienced anything similar? I have two
hard drives in caddies. I switched the system on and
it made a funny noise. Then it failed to boot from the
C drive. This happened several times so I checked the
bios and the drives were all showing up find. No smart
errors. I tried rebooting without things plugged into
the USB, CAT5 and Seriel ports. Then I took the drives
out and tested them individually in another machine.
They were fine. Then I put the drives back into the PC
and rebooted. The system worked! Now considering I
never remove the caddies, that all seems very strange.
Any ideas on what was the problem? I don't like
intermittant problems - they're so hard to trace.

Rhys