[SWLUG] L 99 after install on 160GB HD

Peter Joseph kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk
Tue Mar 9 18:49:04 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 17:11, Justin Mitchell wrote:
> > Any clues? Does Linux not read past the BIOS's 135GB limitation,
> This may be a little out of date now, as i havent used LILO in years,
> GRUB is much more useful in emergencies.

I have to agree, i've been using GRUB with a dual boot system on large
drives for years. I dont even have a small boot partition at the
beginning of my drive either!

> you should always put a small /boot partition near the beginning of the
> disk, 20-30Mb is enough, that will contain the lilo config and kernel.
> the distribution would have done this for you, but im guessing you did
> it all manually instead.

I have a 130gb SATA HDD, this is how it is partitioned.
hde1 30GB NTFS
hde5 30GB Linux XFS
hde6 256mb Linux Swap
hde7 10GB NTFS
50gb Free (i like to save lots for use as and when its required!)

My logic behind this setup is...I give Windoze the first primary
partition with a generous amount of space...it sort of copes best with
this arrangement I find and you are certain to be able to boot no matter
what. GRUB can cope with pretty much any partition arrangement i've used
(on a modern machine) to boot my Linux kernels (which reside with Debian
on hde5). I then have the rest of the HDD to allocate as I need for
extra space.

Its always a good idea to have a boot CD (ideally with grub on) so when
you install windows and it steam rollers the MBR with its own loader you
can just boot up your linux system as normal and fix up your MBR with
your desired boot loader!

Peter

--
Peter Joseph  		                  Debian GNU/Linux Maintainer
kneecaps at shockpulse.co.uk                         kneecaps at debian.org
http://www.shockpulse.co.uk/                   http://www.debian.org/
   "If there were no god, we would have to invent him." - Voltaire
			PGP Key: 598454F1