[SWLUG] Installing programme's

Mark Henderson mark at standardblue.org.uk
Sat Nov 13 19:39:10 UTC 2004

Evening, Alun...

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:27:18 -0000, Alun <alun.pd1 at ntlworld.com> wrote:

<snippage>
> Its got an extension of .tar.gz
>
> Now I understand that the gz stands for a zip programme and the .tar is
> the
> extention for tape archive.

Zipped up tarball, basically.

> What I need to know now is how do I turn this list of programme lines
> into
> the actual game.

So it's the source you downloaded, then...

> I have saved the downloaded programme to a games folder I made on my
> desktop, I lso right clicked the file and I thinkit extracted it to
> another
> file inside this games file.

Ok, so it's unpacked itself. It's probably created a directory and stuck
its guts in there.

> Can anyone tell me just what and where I have to type an instruction to
> install/make and run it.

Go into the directory, there should be some sort of readme file there that
should tell you. Failing that, you want to do the usual make install
routine:
do a
$ ./configure
then a
$ make
then finally a
$ make install

You'll need to ket your hard dirty in the command line for this :)

Of course, the program may well come with it's own compile/install script
that does all this for you. If you give us a link to the download site for
the package, I (or someone else) would be able to say for sure.

Usual disclaimer applies - I'm no expert, so could be completely wrong! :)

> Thanks, I may be a while responding to any messages as I am away on
> course
> next week, but thanks

I'm away with work too, so I'll be a while in responding to your responce
which will have taken a while ;)

HTH,

Mark