[SWLUG] System clock losing time

Foeh Mannay foeh.mannay at ntlworld.com
Tue Nov 16 16:11:28 UTC 2004

Since you have a cablemodem, I guess you're on ntl. The ntl NTP server
is time.cableol.net - or you may be able to use your default gateway
address to synch ntp with. The default gateway in theory should be more
accurate, but in practice ISTR there was some debate because the routers
weren't meant to give out ntp so it was going to be turned off, but
wasn't, etc etc.

In any case, I don't think ntl time is bang on. It certainly wasn't when
I worked there, but that didn't matter because my home PC exactly
matched the clock on the call centre systems, so I knew when to leave
for work!

In any case, ntp setup on redhat I remember was a cakewalk - I think I
just edited 2 lines of config and it worked. Should be more accurate
than your CMOS clock anyway!

Foeh