[SWLUG] Wine I cant find it

Paul G. Richardson phantompgr at btopenworld.com
Wed Oct 13 19:46:56 UTC 2004

Alun,

If yast requires libc.so.6 (glibc_2.3.4) then it is doubtful whether
your wine installation will work correctly as this is a fundamental
library for most linux distros I have encountered (renders the graphic
parts of apps I think).

Personal experiences of wine have been that if an app loads then great
and if it does not then it can take alot of effort and google trawling
to determine the problem. If you want to run Windows apps then I would
recommend CrossOver Office (which uses wine with some Codeweavers
proprietary code) and/or Transgaming cedega/point2play.

Both of these do cost very little in comparison to what you get. XOver
was £30 for a single license while cedega is £3/month subscription. Both
are easy to install especially as Xoffice has a graphical setup
programme and frontend. Loaded office seemlessly (no I dont need it as I
use openoffice but the bread knife insisted as the price for migration
to linux).

Once installed both should install menu entries and the loading of
applications is intuitive.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Paul

P.G. Richardson